Everything You Need To Break Up With Your Mega-Bank Covered in Green America Web Tools
[box_light]Included: Resources for banking with community development banks and credit unions, and putting ALL your investments to work for the planet[/box_light]
WASHINGTON, Nov. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Energized by the Occupy Wall Street movement? Planning to participate in Bank Transfer Day? Green America’s new Break Up With Your Mega-Bank Kit (available for free at: www.GreenAmerica.org/go/toolkit ) offers everything consumers need to close accounts at mega-banks and use their money to support jobs, housing, and local economies instead.
The kit answers questions most frequently asked by consumers who are trying to close their accounts at mega-banks and support community development financial institutions instead. In addition, it helps consumers use all their financial accounts and investments – from credit cards to mutual funds – to support a green economy.
“From Occupy Wall Street to Bank Transfer Day, there is mounting frustration and anger at the big banks that are failing to act in the interests of our communities and our nation as a whole,” says Green America Social Investing Director Fran Teplitz. “As a result, more and more consumers are looking for ways to invest their money with institutions that are responsible and promote sustainability.”
Since 2001, Green America has encouraged consumers to invest money in community investing institutions that invest in marginalized communities in the U.S. and abroad. Assets invested in those institutions grew from $7.6 billion to $41.7 billion over the past decade.
To help all consumers invest their money in a way that supports a green economy, Green America offers the following resources:
- Break Up With Your Mega-Bank kit: The complete resource for ending accounts at mega-banks and supporting communities instead. (www.GreenAmerica.org/go/toolkit)
- Community Investing Guide: everything consumers need to know to invest their money in community development banks, credit unions, loan funds, and venture capital funds. (www.GreenAmerica.org/go/ci)
- Guide to SRI: the complete resource for using investments to support a green economy (over 1 million copies in print). (http://www.greenamerica.org/pubs/fph/)
- Socially Responsible Mutual Fund Performance Chart: Up-to-date information on the performance of leading mutual funds that use their investments to support a green economy. (http://www.greenamerica.org/socialinvesting/mfpc/index.cfm)
- Shareholder Activism: All the information shareholders need to be active with their shares in supporting social and environmental responsibility at corporations. (http://www.greenamerica.org/socialinvesting/shareholderaction/)
About Green America
Green America is the nation’s leading green economy organization. Founded in 1982, Green America (formerly Co-op America) provides the economic strategies, organizing power and practical tools for businesses and individuals to solve today’s social and environmental problems. For more information, go to: http://www.GreenAmerica.org.